Writing songs in 3ml?

I was using the piano player looking tool to write songs but then i couldn't figure out how to change the "gate" and "vel/value" settings.

I was wondering how you do this or if you can do this. 

I'm sorry if this sounds a little messed up but its late right now. '^'

I don't know if this is what you wanted, but "gate" values change when you alter a note's length/duration and "vel/value" changes with volume.  For example, by default notes in 3MLE are in L4, so the default gate value is 96.  If I were to make them L8, halving the default length, it would change to 48.  If I were to make them L2, which is double the default length, then the gate value would change to 192.  So basically, gate values for each note are based off of their own respective lengths.

For vel/value, it is based on volume.  The default volume in 3MLE is 8 so the default value is 8 until you alter them to become anything between 0-15.

I've honestly never paid attention to the gate and vel/values, so I'm not sure if this is the info you wanted.  Hopefully someone else can enlighten you.

Edit: Tempo can also appear in vel/value when you input a new tempo.  The default t120 won't show, but any new tempos you input will.

Edited by A_Dirty_Couch
Tempo
On 5/14/2016 at 9:15 PM, A_Dirty_Couch said:

I don't know if this is what you wanted, but "gate" values change when you alter a note's length/duration and "vel/value" changes with volume.  For example, by default notes in 3MLE are in L4, so the default gate value is 96.  If I were to make them L8, halving the default length, it would change to 48.  If I were to make them L2, which is double the default length, then the gate value would change to 192.  So basically, gate values for each note are based off of their own respective lengths.

For vel/value, it is based on volume.  The default volume in 3MLE is 8 so the default value is 8 until you alter them to become anything between 0-15.

I've honestly never paid attention to the gate and vel/values, so I'm not sure if this is the info you wanted.  Hopefully someone else can enlighten you.

Edit: Tempo can also appear in vel/value when you input a new tempo.  The default t120 won't show, but any new tempos you input will.

Yeah i figured the gate was the length of each note, after looking at some mmls. (Downloaded the Archive,  Full of great songs btw.) I also thought that the vel/value was volume. The whole reason i was asking was because i found a midi of a song and when i put it into 3ml it had the vel/value set to like 88 or something like that so the notes never actually were playing i guess? But then when i put them in manually with the piano tool it actually worked. SO i spent 40 minutes typing it out and then couldn't figure how to change it, and gave up. 

So I'm guessing i would have to export the mml edit it and then import to actually edit songs? (I'm completely new to this and have no idea what i'm doing)

Anyway thanks for your responses. :)

Edit: So i can change the value through exporting it to notepad and then import it. Works great idk if it would work in game though.

Edited by opalthira