Musical Knowledge Ranks

A friend today told me that she is leaving her MK at rank 9 because if you rank all the way to 1 it will make your scores really hard to play, and at rank 9 you will be able to play most of the scores, also that at r9 is easier to make good jams, and well she told me that now that my MK is r7...

Now I'm confused... should I leave it at rank 7? should I go all the way to rank 1? should I go back to 9?

Tell me what do you think, and why...

I want to be a composer and a jam player.

A friend today told me that she is leaving her MK at rank 9 because if you rank all the way to 1 it will make your scores really hard to play, and at rank 9 you will be able to play most of the scores, also that at r9 is easier to make good jams, and well she told me that now that my MK is r7...

Now I'm confused... should I leave it at rank 7? should I go all the way to rank 1? should I go back to 9?

Tell me what do you think, and why...

I want to be a composer and a jam player.

Well by raising the Musical Knowledge of a scroll it makes it much easier to play if you're playing is the same rank or higher.
Otherwise it gets more difficult. So a rank 9 scroll vs a r1 Musical Knowledge scroll, If you gave both to a rank 8 Playing instrument Bard They would be able to play r8 Easier it wouldn't be as difficult as a r1 scroll. While if you gave the scrolls to a rank 1 playing instruments bard. Even though they're at cap the success rate is higher for them on the r1 scroll then it is on the r8. So, while your Musical Knowledge should really only be as high as you need it to be. If everyone who has the Jam action is around r9 then r7 might be a little to high for them, while if the people who're able to jam are r5+ then try to get a higher Musical Knowledge. Really this skill rank either makes or breaks

@Alynnia whats that?

Well it's an accessory you wear. You can only wear it when you're apprentice and above it allows perfect plays. No this doesn't mean you're always going to rock out it means you won't play the song wrong everything will be played correct. This is a good thing and a bad thing. It only works on oneself so the tuner really isn't relevant if your Jam band members don't have it. If everyone had it there would be no need to reset a Jam it's 1 go and it's all right. Though even if it's all right doesn't mean you can't "fail" the song in the training aspect of the Playing instrument skill. The tuner doesn't work with singing

• 🌟Yasuno changed the title to Musical Knowledge Ranks

5bd80729b7.png Hamelin's Tuner
2cc2567491.png
As the picture shows, it is an accessory that will let you play any song without going off-key if you use the Playing Instruments skill. This means your songs will always sound like they sound on the previews on MabiBeats or in 3MLE and that you will never get erroneous notes, however you can still fail a song if you attempt playing a Rank 1 Score when you have Rank 9 Playing Instruments for example, resulting in the score stopping abruptly and a message saying you need to practice more before you can play this score.

The last bit is pertinent to your question.
Musical Knowledge's Rank is only relevant to how you train Playing Instrument, IE: It's good to keep it one or two ranks above your Playing Instruments Rank to make sure you get all the training you can.
However, once you have reached Rank 1 Playing Instrument, the matter of you having Rank 1 or not will not be a significant of your success. Many players do not know of this but Playing Instrument's Success Rate is also affected by Intelligence, which is largely given by Composing and Musical Knowledge. While this isn't a major factor, if both Intelligence and Musical Knowledge are high enough, you should have no problem playing your scores.

In a Jam Session setting it is recommended that you keep it on a lower rank however because for one it opens the way for more bards to assist you with your jam sessions, and for two, it makes it easier for you as well.

My advice would be to rank it and then lower it back down after you've completed Playing Instruments if you plan on doing a lot of Jam Sessions, otherwise I would leave rank as it is one of the higher INT providing skills in the game. 
21f988cf9c.png

Edited by tanino