Alexina Concert Topic: Separate Solo/Jam Queues

Something was brought up during the latest weekly Ch6 concert that I think merits some consideration.

While we host these concerts, I feel as though the jam players deserve a separate queue compared to the numerous solo players in comparison.

I propose two different lines, with the solo players waiting on the right and the jam players on the left. For every five solo plays, a jam group plays.

What are your thoughts? Are you for or against this motion?

Something was brought up during the latest weekly Ch6 concert that I think merits some consideration.

While we host these concerts, I feel as though the jam players deserve a separate queue compared to the numerous solo players in comparison.

I propose two different lines, with the solo players waiting on the right and the jam players on the left. For every five solo plays, a jam group plays.

​That a pretty good idea actually, the side that we usually line up on could be for the solo'ers, and the opposite side could be for the jam groups. And how we'd go about playing is, solo player, then (if present) jam group, repeat.

Edited by KuramaVII

​That a pretty good idea actually, the side that we usually line up on could be for the solo'ers, and the opposite side could be for the jam groups. And how we'd go about playing is, solo player, then (if present) jam group, repeat.

​Absolutely love this idea. I'm all for it.

Personally, I feel that it works best to just have one person from the jam group in the regular line.  As someone who has a duet-heavy repertoire, I'd feel bad having other people have to waste their turns just because I needed their help to play a song.  There's also the point that, if a night were jam-heavy, people would have to wait forever to play their songs in the jam queue (4th group in the jam line, and 6 people cycling through solo line?  Have to wait 23 songs to play!), or on the contrary, if the night were solo-heavy, you'd have the same people up every 5 songs (let's say 20 people in solo queue, 1 group in jam.  You are essentially cutting in front of every 5 people). That's quite a lot of variability, and unfair to one group of people or the other the majority of the time.  So, yeah, I'd have to say that I'm personally against the idea of two separate lines for both of those reasons. 

tl;dr - Just treat a jam as the composer's turn in the regular queue, or something.

Edited by Argysionnach

Personally, I feel that it works best to just have one person from the jam group in the regular line.  As someone who has a duet-heavy repertoire, I'd feel bad having other people have to waste their turns just because I needed their help to play a song.  There's also the point that, if a night were jam-heavy, people would have to wait forever to play their songs in the jam queue (4th group in the jam line, and 6 people cycling through solo line?  Have to wait 23 songs to play!), or on the contrary, if the night were solo-heavy, you'd have the same people up every 5 songs (let's say 20 people in solo queue, 1 group in jam.  You are essentially cutting in front of every 5 people). That's quite a lot of variability, and unfair to one group of people or the other the majority of the time.  So, yeah, I'd have to say that I'm personally against the idea of two separate lines for both of those reasons. 

tl;dr - Just treat a jam as the composer's turn in the regular queue, or something.

​That's also a pretty good idea as well. Have the composer/person with the scroll stand in line while the rest of the party waits in the audience for them to go up. We should just have a vote to figure out how we do it. I still side with Jain's idea.

Edited by KuramaVII

​I agree with your sentiments. Alternatively, I was actually thinking of creating a scheduled jam rotation here for those who wish to jam earlier. It'd promote more users to be active on the site and give those who already are something to look forward to. We're the ones responsible for hosting it, we should have some slight advantages.

For example, those who are members of the site can go into a separate line while those attending can still line up to perform. It's far from perfect, but trying to brainstorm ideas to solve this dilemma.

Ah, trying to combine the two.

Seems kind of redundant if the party leader is already in line. What about the whole site members line idea? Worth a shot?

​Kind of yeah, but not really, I mean, I guess if you're going to be performing (in a jam), you could stand in the other line as a means to separate the performers from the audience.

Edited by KuramaVII