tuplets (again)

• 8 months later...
On 5/22/2016 at 11:33 PM, WinterWyvern said:

I'm not exactly back, but i sometimes get bored enough to do some 3ml. So does anyone know what values to assign these kind of triplets. I havent come across them before and experimentation with the values have failed. I thought triplets were 3 notes but in this case its not.

1234.png

The note measures per 4 beats would be 8 8 8 12 24 8 8 12 24 12 24 | 8 8 8 8 8 8 12 24 12 24 | 8 8 8 8 8 8 12 24 12 24

A triplet fitting in a half note would be 6th notes, a triplet fitting in a quarter note would be divided up into 12ths, a triplet in an eighth note would be 24th notes, and so on.  In this instance, it's triplets fitting into an eighth note, but with a double-length note taking the place of two of the sub-beats.  Lachesis was close, but was up a triplet size.

Sorry I didn't see this last May lol.

_____

Here's the sample mml for what you posted, as an example

MML@<l8aaaa12a24aaa12a24a12a24f+f+f+f+f+f+f+12f+24f+12f+24>c+c+c+c+c+c+l12c+c+24c+c+24,>l8aaaa12a24aaa12a24a12a24f+f+f+f+f+f+f+12f+24f+12f+24>c+c+c+c+c+c+l12c+c+24c+c+24,l8aaaa12a24aaa12a24a12a24f+f+f+f+f+f+f+12f+24f+12f+24>c+c+c+c+c+c+l12c+c+24c+c+24;

Edited by Argysionnach
Added in example mml

An easy way to remember in the future is that the division of the note has to be smaller than the note it fits in :D  Made a quick cheatsheet for future reference, if you guys want it (though it only applies to triplets, not quintuplets or septuplets [I've run into those before, that's when you have to deal with 28th and 56th notes.  Bluhhhh])

note lengths.png

Edited by Argysionnach
3 minutes ago, WinterWyvern said:

that part is fairly simple, its just that triplets kinda mess me up, I've also never encountered triplets not in '3's and different note values in the triplets also make it more difficult to work with

Again, if the triplets are an issue, you can just look at that chart.  i.e. if you see what looks like an eighth note, and it's part of a triplet, it's a 12th note.  If it looks like a quarter note, but it's part of a triplet, it's a sixth note.  Etc. etc. etc.

Also, consider yourself lucky :'D

(also also, I guess saying N/A for a whole-note in a triplet isn't completely true.  It'd be a 2/3rd of a measure in duration -- you'd have to use a 3&3 to show it though, since fractions don't work in mml :D)

Edited by Argysionnach