Sign in to follow this  
aecus

there should be something on site for "rules of barding"

i feel like we need to have something like a barding for dummies publicly accessible at all times or even just for front page

just something for what the veteran and adept bards know as common sense such as but not limited to overplay and how turns work when playing music.

its something i've been thinking about with all the noob overplaying and default music.

something like this would make alot of sense and probably lead to be alot more helpful.

It's more of a "mutual understanding" kind of thing and common courtesy. I understand when people just cc'd and can't hear music or they love to spam that one song, but once they start doing deliberate interruptions....

Always have an overplay scroll ready.

/inb4 overplay war

Edited by andrewngn13

Hm... "rules" sound kinda harsh. Maybe something more like "barding etiquette"? or "concert etiquette"?

​Bard Etiquette already exists.

You just need to politely remind any overplayers that someone is already playing, anyone going into music on Mabi will learn this.

thats the thing

more and more people joining do not have the slightest bit of common sense.

The bard code has pretty much remained unwritten since the dawn of ages though :bingo:It's our solemn duty to inform new bards and those who break the code to inform them thereof! And that in a kind and respectful manner! Too often has a wounded bard lashed out at a newling trying to prove themselves to us with their melodies. This isn't really beneficial since they tend to waddle off hurt and keirfuzzled!

It would however be quite interesting to see everyone's take on the barding code, maybe we could sign it with our names and everything and have it look like a treaty. We could call it the treaty of melodies.. *rambles off*:happy:

It's more of a "mutual understanding" kind of thing and common courtesy. I understand when people just cc'd and can't hear music or they love to spam that one song, but once they start doing deliberate interruptions....

Always have an overplay scroll ready.

/inb4 overplay war

I just thought i'd share my views about overplaying people who are already overplaying. It doesnt really help the whole situation really, its just going to make things worse and the other party may think you are overplaying them instead and thus an overplay war ensues. Not everyone has "mutual Understanding" and things like jams do not have bard animations whereby you can easily tell that someone is playing. It'd help to let the other party know they are overplaying before going full blown with the overplay score in order to avoid unnecessary frustration. I'd just blacklist them rather them overplay them really.  

Blacklisting sadly only solves the problem for one party, everyone in between is just forced to listen to two bards battling it out, not too nice for them :twirly: 

Usually, bard buff effects can give away if someone is playing or not, but it is common courtesy nowadays to check if people are playing, especially with the usual issue that one cannot hear another bard playing after just arriving in an area.:gabu:

I'd assume that people know who the actual overplayers are, but that is just my assumption. Also, jam doesnt give out bard effects so whenever i jam, i get overplayed quite a fair bit ^^. All you really have to do is just tell the other party to stop. Most of the time they will. Or if they arent compliant, just....ignore em?:bombs_away:. Overplaying them is also likely to get YOU blacklisted >~< as i found out.

(Edit: Could someone also delete my double ensemble submission, It apparently submitted two for some odd reason)

Edited by Unknownz

Common sense would be that you train in a secluded area where no one can hear you if you're not using a blank scroll.

Not in dunbarton where everyone and their pet can hear you.

I agree, we should make a official document about this, and also establish more things on it, like...ummm....

umm...

Maybe the matter about no stealing credit for someone else's work? (Like in the Copy and Paste topic)

And also...um....

Maybe establish concert times for the other servers?

It seems like Mari is not too developed on this, I only have a few bard friends on Mari.

Sorry if I am bothering with this post >//<

Very embarassing to see my last self in this last post.

Now, on the matter at hand, I have on my experience seen accidental overplayers/new people who can be politely told, and they happily correct thenselves, 

And troll people who purposefully ruin everyone's day by overplaying/spamming noise and who will act as if the bards are the ones who are oppresive and not letting them express themselves.

The first group is wonderful, and should be befriended, the problem here is how to handle the 2nd group.

I agree that blacklisting doesn't resolve the problem.

But maybe there could be another way to prepare/mark them in everyone's eyes as a bard troll.

Ideas/options:

1. A forum blacklist, copied over to all mabi forums, to increase visibility of the guilty parties, and to encourage EVERYONE to blacklist them in-game.

2. A code of conduct document which the nice people can sign, and everyone can know who are the nice ones, everyone else is a troll by default and should not be accepted.

3. Starting to do concerts in other places, without the knowledge of the trolls.

Personally I think this migjt be the best option, but at the same its the hardest to do in reality because people are sometines too lazy to do somewhere else for "just" jamming. That would leave us with just the bards, and the neutral people will just live in a sad, musicless world, and won't ever join tje ranks of the bards.

On second thought, I don't like option 3 anymore.

Related note: what other music communities are there, that we could join forces to implement a solution with?